Monday, September 27, 2010

Frustration


What a morning! Zach had a scheduled spinal MRI at the hospital, so unfortunately he was not supposed to eat anything from 6 AM until his MRI at 11AM. As a mom, I was not happy about this, but I guess it needed to be done so that he could have the proper sedation meds. So we rode out the storm of a crying boy all morning.

Once we got to the hospital and started to dialogue with the nurse practitioner, I found out that it had not been communicated to them that Zach had a heart issue. This was a big deal because this entirely changes the sedation procedure. My options at this point were to reschedule for another day (AH!! NO!!) or feed him with the goal of making him sleepy enough that he will lay still for it. (I choose door #2, please!)

Before I could feed him they wanted to get an IV ready for the contrast that would be used during the MRI...4 needle pokes later, they finally were successful with a vein on his ankle bone! At this point, I am not doing too well as a mom. I feel that my entire morning was spent with me asking God, "Oh, please let it work this time!"

After feeding Zach, we were finally able to get Zach sleeping for the imaging. He stayed still for most of it, but they were unable to complete the portion of the images where they actually use the contrast. Ug! I am to call the doctor who ordered the MRI later this week to see if the images they obtained will be enough. "Oh, Lord, please let this be enough!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Steph. My heart is broken for you. I can't imagine the ache of wanting to comfort, care for, and just make things easier for Zach. I am praying for wisdom, peace, and patience. I so wish we were closer....but all our love and prayers coming from TN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis was an aweful day for us as well. To go so long without a bottle then She took forever to go out with sedation!!! My prayers are with you. LOve Stacy Gilbert Ruthis mommy:)

    ReplyDelete